A walk in shower is a great addition to any bathroom. They’re stylish, they save space, and they’re easy to clean. But if you’ve ever priced one out, you know that they can be pretty expensive. Fortunately, it’s not too difficult to build your own walk in shower. With a little time and effort, you can have a beautiful and functional shower that will last for years to come. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to build your own walk in shower step by step. We’ll cover everything from choosing the right materials to installing the base and walls. By the end, you’ll be ready to start enjoying your new shower as soon as possible.
Why You Should Consider a Walk In Shower
If you’re considering a walk in shower, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Walk in showers can be a great addition to any home, and can make your bathroom more accessible and stylish. Here are a few reasons why you should consider a walk in shower:
1. They’re More Accessible: Walk in showers are much easier to access than traditional showers. If you have mobility issues or are simply looking for a more convenient way to bathe, a walk in shower is a great option.
2. They’re More Stylish: Walk in showers can give your bathroom an updated, stylish look. Whether you choose a sleek and modern design or something more traditional,walk in showers can add value to your home.
3. They’re Easy to Clean: Because walk in showers don’t have any nooks and crannies for dirt and grime to hide in, they’re much easier to keep clean than traditional showers. A quick wipe down after each use will keep your shower looking sparkling new.
The Benefits of a Walk In Shower
A walk in shower can offer many benefits over a traditional shower stall. They can be more spacious, allowing for a more relaxing experience. They can also be more accessible, especially if you have mobility issues. And, they can be a great addition to any bathroom, whether you’re renovating or building from scratch.
There are plenty of reasons to consider a walk in shower for your next bathroom project. Here are just a few of the benefits:
1. More space: A walk in shower is typically larger than a standard shower stall, giving you more room to move around and enjoy your shower. This can be especially important if you have mobility issues, as it can make the experience much more comfortable.
2. More accessible: If you have mobility issues, a walk in shower can be a great option as they tend to be more accessible than traditional showers. This means that you won’t have to worry about stepping over a high threshold or dealing with narrow doors and cramped spaces.
3. A stylish addition: Walk in showers can add style and value to your home. Whether you’re renovating an existing bathroom or building from scratch, they can be a great way to add some luxury and functionality to your space.
How to Build Your Own Walk In Shower
Assuming you have a bathroom with enough space to accommodate a walk in shower, the first step is to measure the space and purchase the necessary materials. The following outline provides a general overview of how to install a walk in shower.
1. Start by installing the shower base. You will need to create a frame for the base using 2x4s or similar lumber. Make sure the frame is level before attaching the base.
2. Install the walls around the perimeter of the shower base. Again, use 2x4s or similar lumber to create a frame for the walls. Make sure all seams are properly sealed before attaching the walls to the base.
3 .Install showers shelves or built-in niches for shampoo, soap, and other bath items within reach of where you’ll be standing in the shower. You can find these shelves and niches at most home improvement stores.
4 .Attach either a glass shower door or shower curtain to keep water contained within the shower area while you’re taking a shower.
What You Will Need
If you’re planning on building your own walk in shower, there are a few things you’ll need to take into account. First, you’ll need to make sure that the area where you plan to build the shower is level. If it’s not, you may need to do some leveling work before getting started.
Next, you’ll need to choose the right type of shower base. There are many different types of bases available, so be sure to do your research and pick one that will work well for your space and needs.
Finally, you’ll need to select the right type of doors or enclosure for your new shower. There are many different styles and options available, so be sure to browse through all of the possibilities until you find the perfect fit for your home.
Step by Step Instructions
Assuming you have a basic understanding of plumbing and tiles, building your own walk-in shower is not as difficult as it may seem. Follow these steps to ensure your project turns out just the way you want it.
1. Begin by measuring the space where you would like your shower to be installed. Keep in mind that a walk-in shower needs at least 36 inches of space in front of it for easy access. Once you have your measurements, mark off the area with tape so you have a visual guide.
2. If you are working with an existing bathroom, you will need to remove any existing fixtures (shower, tub, sink, toilet, etc.) that are in the way of your new shower space. This may require some demolition work, so be sure to take all necessary safety precautions (wear goggles, gloves, etc.).
3. Once the area is clear, you can begin installing your new shower base. Most bases are made of acrylic or fiberglass and can be purchased at most home improvement stores. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation.
4. Once the base is in place, you can begin tiling the walls of your shower enclosure. Again, be sure to follow any manufacturer’s instructions regarding tile adhesive and grout type/color. Also keep in mind that if your shower will have a glass door, you will need to tile up to where the door will be installed (le
Building your own walk in shower is a great way to add value to your home and make your bathroom more functional. With a little planning and elbow grease, you can build your very own shower in no time. Be sure to follow these tips so that your shower turns out just the way you want it. And most importantly, have fun!