If you’re thinking about converting your bathtub to a walk-in shower, you might be wondering how much it will cost. The truth is, the cost of converting a bathtub to a walk-in shower can vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of tub you have and the amount of work required to convert it. In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the factors that can affect the cost of converting a bathtub to a walk-in shower, as well as some tips on how to save money on the project. Read on to learn more!
Why Convert to a Walk-in Shower?
There are many reasons to convert your bathtub to a walk-in shower. Here are just a few:
1. Safety: Stepping over a high tub wall can be dangerous, especially for seniors or those with mobility issues. A walk-in shower eliminates this risk.
2. Accessibility: Walk-in showers are much easier to enter and exit than bathtubs, making them a great option for those with limited mobility.
3. Space: If you’re tight on space, ditching your tub in favor of a shower can free up some much-needed square footage.
4. Cost: Converting to a walk-in shower is often more cost-effective than installing a brand new bathtub.
5. Style: Walk-in showers are sleek and modern, and can help give your bathroom an updated look.
How Much Does it Cost to Convert a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower?
The cost to convert a bathtub to a walk-in shower depends on several factors, including the type of tub you have, the type of shower you want, and the complexity of the installation.
If you have a standard bathtub, you can expect to pay between $1,000 and $3,000 to convert it to a walk-in shower. This includes the cost of the shower base and doors. If you have a more complex tub, such as a whirlpool tub, the cost will be higher.
The type of shower you choose will also affect the cost. A basic shower conversion can be done for as little as $1,000. However, if you want a more luxurious shower, with multiple jets and custom tiling, the cost can increase to $5,000 or more.
Finally, the complexity of the installation will also affect the cost. If your bathroom is small and cramped, it will be more difficult to install a walk-in shower than if you have a large bathroom with plenty of space. This means that the labor costs for the installation will be higher.
Overall, converting a bathtub to a walk-in shower is not an inexpensive project. However, it is often worth the investment because it can add significant value to your home and make your bathroom much more enjoyable to use on a daily basis.
The Pros and Cons of Converting to a Walk-in Shower
There are a few things to consider before converting your bathtub to a walk-in shower. Weighing the pros and cons will help you make the best decision for your home.
1. More space – ditching the tub frees up a significant amount of space in your bathroom. This can be especially beneficial in small bathrooms.
2. Easier to clean – let’s face it, cleaning a tub is a pain. Walk-in showers are much easier to clean and require less maintenance overall.
3. Safer – stepping over a high tub wall can be dangerous, especially for seniors or those with mobility issues. A walk-in shower eliminates this risk.
4. Can add value to your home – if you’re thinking about selling your home, walk-in showers are a big selling point for many buyers.
1. Cost – converting your bathtub to a walk-in shower isn’t cheap. You’ll need to factor in the cost of materials as well as labor costs if you plan on hiring someone to do the job for you.
2. Loss of resale value – while walk-in showers can add value to your home, they can also potentially decrease resale value if they’re not done right. It’s important to consult with a professional before making any drastic changes to your bathroom so that you
How to Convert a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower
Installing a walk-in shower in place of your bathtub can be a great way to make your bathroom more accessible and stylish. Here’s how to convert a bathtub to a walk-in shower:
1. Remove the tub: You’ll need to remove the tub and any surrounding walls or tile. If you’re planning on keeping the same flooring, be careful not to damage it while you remove the tub.
2. Install a shower base: Once the tub is removed, you can install a shower base in its place. Make sure the base is level and properly sealed before proceeding.
3. Add waterproofing: Waterproofing is essential in any shower installation, but it’s especially important if you’re converting a bathtub to a walk-in shower. Add a layer of waterproofing material to the walls and floor before installing tile or other finishes.
4. Choose your finishes: Now you can choose what type of tile, fixtures, and other finishes you’d like for your new walk-in shower. Be sure to seal all grout and caulk properly to prevent leaks.
There is no simple answer to the question of how much it costs to convert a bathtub to a walk-in shower. The price will vary depending on the size and type of tub you have, as well as the materials and labor involved in the conversion process. However, if you’re looking for an estimate, expect to pay between $1,500 and $5,000 for the entire project.