If you’re considering converting your bathtub to a walk-in shower, you’re probably wondering how long the process will take. While the answer may vary depending on the specific project, in general, it takes about a day to complete the conversion. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps of converting a bathtub to a walk-in shower, so you know what to expect. We’ll also provide some tips on how to make the most of your new shower. Read on to learn more!
Why Convert a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower?
There are many reasons to convert a bathtub to a walk-in shower. For one, it can make your bathroom more accessible for people with limited mobility. Additionally, it can save you time and water when showering, and can give your bathroom a more modern look.
Walk-in showers are also easier to clean than bathtubs, since there are no nooks and crannies for dirt and grime to collect in. And if you ever do want to take a soak in the tub, you can always install a freestanding tub in your bathroom!
The Steps Involved in the Conversion
Assuming you have a standard bathtub that is 60” long and 32” wide, the following are the steps required to convert it to a walk-in shower:
1. Remove the tub and drain line. This will require breaking through the tile surround, so be prepared for some repair work afterwards. You may also need to relocate plumbing lines.
2. Install a new shower drain in the floor where the tub was removed.
3. Add blocking between the studs around the perimeter of the shower opening, as well as any framing members that will support the weight of the shower walls and glass enclosure.
4. Install Shower Pan Liner and Curb according to manufacturer’s instructions 5. Install Shower Walls or Glass Enclosure 6. Add final touches like shampoo niche, towel bars, etc.
Walk-in Shower Kits
When most people think about renovating their bathroom, they usually imagine a luxurious walk-in shower. However, the reality is that many homeowners don’t have the time or money to invest in a complete bathroom makeover. If you’re looking for a more affordable option that will still give you the walk-in shower of your dreams, then consider investing in a walk-in shower kit.
A walk-in shower kit is an all-in-one solution that includes everything you need to convert your existing bathtub into a stylish and functional walk-in shower. Most kits come with easy-to-follow instructions, so you can do the job yourself in just a few hours. Plus, because they’re designed for DIY installation, walk-in shower kits are much more affordable than hiring a professional contractor.
When Shopping for a Walk-in Shower Kit, be Sure to Look for One that Includes All of the Following:
• A Waterproof Pan Liner: This is What Will Create the Barrier Between Your New Shower and the Rest of Your Bathroom. Be Sure to Choose a Pan Liner That’s Made from Durable Pvc or Another Waterproof Material.
• A Drain Assembly: This Part of the Kit Includes the Drain Grate and Associated Hardware. Some Kits Also Include a Drain Cover to Conceal the Drains when Not in Use.
• A Set of Walls: The Walls Will Enclose Your New Shower Space and can be Made From a Variety of Materials, Including Tile, Fiberglass, or Acrylic.
• A Shower Door: This is What Will Keep Water inside Your Shower and Can be Selected in a Variety of Styles to Complement Your Decor.
• Accessories: Many Kits Include Towel Bars, Corner Shelves, Soap Dishes, and Other Accessories to Help You Create a Functional and Attractive Space.
Hiring a Professional vs. Doing it Yourself
When you are Planning to Convert Your Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower, you May be Wondering if you Should Hire a Professional or do the Work Yourself. There are Pros and Cons to Both, and Ultimately it Comes Down to What you Feel Comfortable With.
If you Choose to Hire a Professional, they Will Likely be Able to Get the Job Done Faster than if you Attempted it Yourself. They Will Also have the Right Tools and Materials for the Job, Which can Save you Time and Money. on the Downside, Hiring a Professional can be Expensive, and you May Not have as Much Control Over the Final Product if you’re Not Doing the Work Yourself.
If you Decide to do the Work Yourself, it Will Probably Take Longer than if you Hired Someone. but it can be Gratifying to See Your Own Handiwork in Action, and it Will Save you Money. the Biggest Downside is that you’ll Need to be Extra Careful to Make Sure Everything is Done Properly so That there are No Leaks or Other Problems Later on.
How Long Does the Conversion Process Take?
Converting a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower is a Big Project that Will Take Some Time. How Long it Takes Will Depend on the Size and Complexity of Your Project, as Well as the Availability of Materials and Labor. Generally, the Process Will Take Several Weeks from Start to Finish.
During the Conversion Process, Your Bathroom Will be out of Commission for a Period of Time. the First Step is to Remove the Tub and All Associated Plumbing. This can be a Complex and Time-Consuming Process, Depending on the Configuration of Your Bathroom. Once the Tub is Removed, the Next Step is to Install the Shower Base and Any Necessary Framing. Again, This Will Vary Based on the Size and Complexity of Your Project. Finally, you’ll Need to Tile the Shower and Install Fixtures Like Doors, Drains, and Shower Heads.
While it’s Certainly Possible to Complete a Bathtub-To-Walk-in Shower Conversion Yourself, it’s Generally Best to Leave This Type of Project to the Professionals. Not only Will they be Able to do it Faster and More Efficiently, but they’ll Also be Able to Ensure that Everything is up To Code.
The Cost of Converting a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower
The Cost of Converting a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower Depends on a Few Factors. the Biggest Factor is the Size of Your Bathroom. if you have a Small Bathroom, the Conversion Will Likely be Less Expensive than if you have a Large Bathroom. Other Factors that can Affect the Cost Include the Type of Tub you have and Whether or Not you Need to Install New Plumbing.
On Average, the Cost of Converting a Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower Ranges from $1,000 to $3,000. However, if you have a Very Small Bathroom or if you Already have a Shower in Your Home, the Cost May be as Low as $500. for Larger Bathrooms or For Homes that do Not Already have a Shower, the Cost Could be as High as $5,000.
If you’re Considering Converting Your Bathtub to a Walk-in Shower, it’s Important to Know how Long the Process Will Take. While the Actual Conversion Process only Takes a Few Hours, there is Additional Time Needed for Tiling and Other Finishes. Overall, you can Expect the Project to Take About a Week from Start to Finish. with That Said, the Results are Definitely Worth the wait and you’ll enjoy having a stylish and functional shower in your bathroom for years to come.